Calhan Elementary School
Dear Calhan Elementary Parents and Guardians:
Welcome to the 2021-2022 school year at Calhan Elementary! I love the excitement of beginning each new school year and eagerly await to welcome our students back for another great year! For our returning families, I look forward to seeing you once again. For families new to Calhan Elementary, I am excited to meet you and your child! Know that the Calhan Elementary Staff and School District are all here to support your child in transitioning to our fantastic school! Our staff is committed to providing the best educational experience possible for your child. Our goal is to ensure each child feels welcomed, connected, and a part of the Calhan family. Additionally, we strive to challenge each student to grow in their academic abilities. Our staff utilizes research-based best practices and continually analyzes student academic data to determine current skill levels and to set goals for growth and improvement. Our continued focus for the 2021-2022 school year will be on student achievement for all students in all academic areas while promoting student engagement, rigor, and critical thinking. Another essential area of concentration will center around a positive partnership between all stakeholders: the school, parents, and community. I encourage you to take an active role in your child’s learning. Parents play a critical role in success at school. I ask that you make attendance a priority by limiting tardiness and absences, communicate with your child’s homeroom teacher often, read with your child daily, and review the school day with your child. The Calhan School District will be implementing the 7 Mindsets program in grades PreK-12 to address the social and emotional needs of our students. Please visit 7 Mindsets Curriculum for more information.
I invite you to attend our Back To School Night and Community Expo on Tuesday, August 17, 2021, at @6:00 pm. The expo will take place in the cafeteria from 6:00-7:00 pm, with visits to your child’s classroom 6:30-8:00 pm. Beginning of the Year Testing for grades K-5 will take place on Tuesday, August 17th, and Wednesday, August 18th. Postcards that indicate what time/day your child is scheduled for testing have been mailed to all families. If you need further assistance or did not receive a testing postcard, please contact the front office at 719-347-2766. Students may bring school supplies during Back To School Night, scheduled testing days, or on the first day of school.
Thursday, August 19, 2021, is the first day of school for grades K-5, with August 31, 2021, being the first day of school for preschool students. A school supply list can be found on our district website https://www.calhanschool.org. School hours are 7:55 AM - 4:00 PM Tuesday through Friday. Student drop off, and pick-up information can be found on the elementary page of our district website Calhan Elementary Website.
If you are looking for opportunities to serve the students and staff of Calhan Elementary, please join us for a ParTnerS (PTA)
meeting on Wednesday, September 1, 2021, in the media center. Joining the Elementary School Improvement Committee is another excellent opportunity to stay involved. More information to come!
Please take time to review the Calhan Elementary Parent/Student Handbook before school starts 2021-2022 Elementary Handbook
I am honored to welcome Amy Morgan (5th grade) and Becki Sims (Elementary Instructional Coach) to our team. All bring many years of experience in the field of education and a solid set of skills that will be most valuable to our students, team, and community. I am thrilled to have them as part of the Calhan team! Once again, welcome back! The staff and I look forward to a rewarding and successful school year with you and your children. I hope to see you often; let’s partner together to make it a successful year for your child!
Calhan Elementary Principal
719-347-2766 Ext. 410
Friday, August 6, 2021
Dear Calhan Families:
If you will be picking up your child after school or dropping him/her off in the morning before school, please follow the procedure below:
Parent Pick-Up Student Dismissal:
- All parent pick-up students in grades PreK-5 will be dismissed @3:55 and escorted by classroom teachers to the basketball court on the north side of the playground (see map link to the right).
- Students will be released to approved individuals listed on their emergency form.
- To verify who has been designated as an approved individual to pick up your child/ren, please contact the front office at 719-347-2766.
- Students will be grouped by family and will line up on the basketball court on the north end of the playground.
- If you would like to pick up a middle or high school sibling along with your elementary child/ren in the elementary parent pick-up line, instruct your ms/hs student to simply join their elementary sibling/s in line on the basketball court upon dismissal. Please be sure to join the pick-up line late enough (4:05) to allow your older children time to reach the basketball court.
Parent Pick-Up Line:
- Please be sure to enter the pick-up line as indicated on the map. This will be a single line of vehicles at all times.
- Vehicles are welcome to enter the pick-up line no earlier than 3:50 PM and no later than 4:10 PM. THE PICK-UP LINE WILL CLOSE PROMPTLY AT 4:10; AFTER THIS TIME, YOUR CHILD WILL BE ESCORTED TO THE FRONT OFFICE WHERE HE/SHE CAN BE PICKED UP.
- For safety reasons, students will enter vehicles on the passenger side of all vehicles.
- Vehicles must exit the pick-up line and head east on 8th street.
- While in the pick-up line, please do not park or leave your vehicle unattended.
- Vehicles will be directed to exit the pick-up line once students are safely loaded into the designated vehicle. Please follow teacher directed signals to exit the pick-up line.
*For morning drop off, rather than the high school parking lot,
the safest and quickest option is to drop students off:
- at the horseshoe entrance off of Bulldog Drive with the crossing guard (see map)
- at the basketball court on the north side of the elementary playground next to the dismissal gate
Thank you for your cooperation as we strive to keep all of our students safe. If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the front office @719-347-2766.